“Weird Al” Yankovic: When I Grow Up
HarperCollins Children’s Books
Based on Yankovic’s bestselling children’s book, we developed the Webby award-winning When I Grow Up app for the iPad, iPhone, and iPod Touch. With multiple interactions and animations on every screen, fun and challenging games based on the story, the ability to personalize the app and shout-outs for “Weird Al” fans, users of all ages will eagerly consider what they want to be when they grow up!
- Adobe MAX Award: Macworld App Gems: Honorable Mention for Best App (2011)
- International Academy of the Visual Arts: W3 Awards: Best of Show: Mobile Applications-Entertainment (2011)
- Webby Awards: People's Voice Award: Mobile Entertainment (handheld) (2012)
Webby Award People’s Voice Winner:
In addition to playing a mean accordion and spoofing the world’s biggest music-makers, “Weird Al” Yankovic, the long-haired, song-writing legend, is also a New York Times best-selling children’s book author.
The story, When I Grow Up, follows 8-year-old Billy, who delivers a fantastic show-and-tell presentation in class about what his future career options might be. In true “Weird Al” style, some of those professions include zany jobs like being a snail trainer, sumo wrestler or tarantula shaver.
His publisher, HarperCollins Children’s Books, challenged Bean Creative to come up with a game-changing eBook app that would fully mine the rich interactivity of apps while milking “Weird Al’s” creative genius for all it’s worth.
When “Weird Al” read through our app proposal and said “YES!” to every hilarious interactive nugget we suggested, we knew this would be an app of epic impact.
The book was brought to glorious life with multiple interactions and animations on every screen, fun-but-challenging games, exclusive audio, and more in a rich, engaging app for iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch.
Fabulous highlights include:
Enter the world of the story by adding your name to key scenes.
- EXUBERANT NARRATION
Select “Read Myself” or check out the inspired “Read to Me” option performed by the one and only “Weird Al” himself and featuring audio synched to text.
- GREAT SOUND EFFECTS
Interactive features include sound clips from Al available only in this app.
- EXTENSIVE INTERACTIONS
Tap, swipe, and tilt your device to interact with the characters and setting. Over 50 hidden Easter eggs and silly surprises!
- EXCELLENT GAMES
Challenging games give you a chance to try your hand at unusual career options. Never shaved a tarantula before? Here’s your chance!
Prior to this app, the only interactive kids books in iTunes were virtual lift-the-flap options for toddlers and preschoolers. Bean Creative helped HarperCollins create and own the interactive storytelling space for elementary school readers by not only creating innovative ways to read on screen (including the small screen of iPhone and iPod Touch), but also by embedding contextual mini-games within the story that truly brought it to life.
The app has been hailed as one of the more dynamic and interactive books apps ever made – not only can you read the book or have it read to you (by “Weird Al”, no less!) but there is so much to do, play and explore – such as shaving a tarantula, racing snails, flinging baboons or making bugs fly out the teacher’s hair.
Top Performances in iTunes App Store
- Featured in “New and Noteworthy”
- Featured in Fun Summer Learning for Kids
- #2 in Books (paid iPad apps)
- #4 in Books (paid iPhone apps)
- #92 in ALL Apps (iPad)
“Weird Al” Yankovic continues to find his way into the hearts and minds of America’s youth…
— NY Times
I don’t want to downplay the [paper] book — there’s a place for that wonderful medium — but I think the app that has the text and audiobook, plus all the interactive elements and games, all adds up to a rich, empowering and fun combination for kids.
— USA Today
One of the best parts, though, is the selection of minigames that were inspired by Billy’s career choices…Each one carries over Wes Hargis’ excellent watercolor illustrations but animates them and puts you in the action…I challenge you not to laugh as you your kids chase the hairy spiders around with a pair of buzzing clippers [in the Tarantula Shaver game]…[The app is] well worth it if you’re a fan of “Weird Al”. Oh, and your kids might like it, too.
— Wired Magazine
- This changes the “kids book” landscape on the iPad. If you have kids and want to encourage them to read on a digital medium, this is it!
- This is app is such fun! Kids and adults who are in touch with their kid-ness will absolutely LOVE it! So many hidden surprises, amazing voice-over (of course, it’s Al’s voice!) and sound effects, and the games are hilarious. Buy this – you won’t be disappointed!
- This is the best app I’ve ever seen – it is my daughters’ favorite and mine.
- This is by far the best children’s book that I’ve put on my iPad. It is full of fun surprises.
- Amazing fun from the title page all the way through to the credits. This app has a great story and great narration, and you’ll find new things to play with every time you (or the kids) play it. Each page has a unique set of Easter eggs; the interactive animations are so much fun that it’s often hard to turn to the next page. Sure to leave your kid giggling.